Thursday, September 15, 2011

Wellness, Perfection, and the Fourth of July

It was a hot, hot, hot day at the lake this last July 4. The small lake was more active with boats and jet skis than I had ever seen it in thirty years of summers. Rough water, big waves, and all kinds of summertime fun being had by all. When a neighbor offered to teach my daughter's fiance's 10 year old son, Nicholas, to knee-board, I was asked if I wanted to ride in the boat. Yes, I wanted to be there to see him master this challenge. Nicholas was amazing! He conquered the knee board on his first try! His strong mind, clear focus, strong body, determination - all rolled into a few minutes on the rough waters that summer day. As soon as he climbed back into the boat, I realized I had been "set up". You see, I had expressed to my daughter and her fiance that I would once again LOVE to water ski. (It had been fifteen years since I last had the opportunity.) They put the "boards" in the water and asked if I wanted to ski. I had no time to fear the waves, the congestion of boaters, OR the fact I last attempted this when I was 41 years old. I slid into the water and into the skis. My heart and breath increased and the adrenalin started pumping. The boat accelerated and I began my ascent into water ski bliss with the wind in my hair. Yes, it was rough! No, it was not perfect! But I loved every second of it - those few moments of a strong mind, clear focus, strong body, determination - all rolled into a few minutes on the rough waters that hot summer day.

As a certified wellness coach, I partner with and guide clients to overcome the barriers that are keeping them from living their lives fully and healthfully. Sometimes this means letting go of perfection, overcoming fear, and saying "yes" to new life experiences. My adventure on the Fourth of July has given me a renewed appreciation for their courage in overcoming fear, letting go of perfection, and ultimately their exhilaration in living well.

No comments:

Post a Comment